Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pre-mission life

I first started thinking about serving a mission when I was just a Primary child. I didn't really like how a lot of the songs about missionaries were directed towards just young men because I was raised with 3 older brothers and knew I could do anything a boy could. I understand missionary work is a Priesthood obligation and only a choice for young women but I think people should focus a little more on the young women and encourage them to go if it's something they have even a slight interest in. At the least just help young women understand how to prepare, if they serve a mission then great, if they get married and start a family they will have an even stronger Gospel foundation to build their life on. Moral of the story... don't exclude young women from missionary preparation! :)

It became a little more real when I was in High School and became close to a lot of the missionaries who served around here. I worked side by side with them, introducing my friends to the gospel, learning from their teaching methods, and feeling the amazing spirit of true conversion. Usually people talk up missions a lot like they are fantastic and spiritual and always so amazing. It's important for prospective missionaries to understand that most days just aren't like that. Most days are difficult, tiring, filled with rejection, disappointments, heartaches, and trials. It would be a hard dose of reality if you don't understand both sides before going into the mission field. I am grateful I was able to work with the missionaries on a regular basis for years because I had the opportunity to see first hand the disappointments as well as the spiritual triumphs. I know that 100 disappointing days are worth just one day when someone feels the spirit, or understands something you teach them, or makes a commitment to read the Book of Mormon or to be baptized. That's why missionary work is called "work." It is hard work but worth everything when you find that person you know has been waiting for your testimony of Jesus Christ.

October 2012 General Conference changed my life, putting my dream in reach sooner than expected. When President Monson made the announcement that the age was lowered for missionary service I couldn't believe it. I immediately called my dad who was out of town yelling, "I can go on my mission! NOW! I wanna go! I wanna go!" He was shocked as well but a little weary to let me get too excited because he knew I had recently signed a 12 month lease with an apartment complex in Tallahassee as I was attending FSU. I knew it would be hard to leave so quickly without much notice but I wanted to GOOOO! I talked to an RM who had served here about leaving early and the issue with my lease and she told me, "This is the Lord's work, He will provide a way." I knew she was right and my dad agreed so he gave me the okay to call my bishop and start my papers. I called the next day between the two Sunday sessions of conference. My Bishop in Tallahassee 5th Ward said he was just waiting for me to call. :) 




When you make the final decision about serving a mission you receive blessings from Heavenly Father for your righteous choice. On the other hand, Satan is angry with you. He throws everything he can at you to try and make you fall and fail and give up. He knows if he can keep you from going he will destroy generations from hearing the gospel from you. The mission papers process was a struggle. Issues came up that I wasn't expecting to have to deal with and I did at some points want to give up. However, I have amazing friends and family who know how much this means to me and they had to carry me a little ways to get here. I am forever grateful for their love. 



After many roadblocks and struggle, my papers were finally in on November 27, 2012. Then came the waiting, the anticipation, the slight fear. On December 14, 2012 - a surprising week early - I received my call. California Carlsbad Mission, Spanish speaking. 

Now comes the packing and rushed preparation. Spending as much time as I can with loved ones, while working to save some money. I'm ready to start this new journey in my life but a little nervous and anxious about the unknown. 
In the words of Brad Paisley: I can't see this world unless I go outside my Southern Comfort Zone. :p


-Hermana Gutknecht

No comments:

Post a Comment